Opposition MPs to decide way forward on reconsidering plenary boycott
Written by David Gwenyemera on October 5, 2021
The opposition Members of Parliament are set to hold a meeting today, to decide a way forward on the reconsideration of boycotting plenary sitting.
Last week opposition MPs under the stewardship of the Leader of Opposition Mathias Nsamba Mpuuga stormed out of a parliamentary sitting in protest of the alleged illegal re-arrest of their colleagues Allan Ssewanyana of Makindye West and Muhammad Ssegirinya of Kawempe North.
The opposition also accused government of failing to present the two MPs in court within the time as stipulated in the law.
However, Tororo Woman MP, Sarah Opendi says a boycott is not a solution adding that the issue that led to their storming out of Parliament has since then been addressed because the two MPs appeared in court.
Opendi says the Opposition’s continued absence from Parliament does not only affect their electorate from getting representation but also denies government from tapping into the alternative positions fronted by the opposition.